Highlander is a public charter school that admits its students through a lottery process. Below you will find information about our policies and learn how to start your application process. In order to participate in this lottery, an application must be completed and returned to the Admissions Office.
APPLY FOR THE 2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
- Highlander Elementary Charter School if you are applying to grades PreK - 6th
- Highlander Secondary Charter School if you are applying to grades 7 - 12
Our Admission Policies
Highlander is a public charter school open to Rhode Island students from Pre-K to 12th grade. By Rhode Island Law and regulations from the Rhode Island Department of Education, students are admitted to Highlander by lottery. This lottery determines which applicants are enrolled the following school year.
In Highlander’s case, 75% of the students admitted to our school through lottery are Providence residents. The other 25% admitted through lottery are from other Rhode Island cities. The lottery takes place in the first week of March. All families will be notified of the results of the lottery by mail.
The Acceptance Process
When an applicant is accepted to Highlander, we will send acceptance letters and a copy of the Confirmation and Reservation Form to you by mail. You will have fifteen (15) business days after the postmarked date on the notification letter to return this form to the Admissions Office. Along with this form, you need to submit: a copy of birth certificate, proof of address (current utility bill), authorization to release school record form, prior school records, and special education records such as IEP and/or 504.
If we do not hear from you within fifteen (15) days, we will make every attempt to contact you by the deadline. If no form has been returned by the deadline, the student’s space may be given to the next eligible student on the waiting list. Parents who are not available at the home address listed on the application form during the notification period should contact the Highlander to make other arrangements.
Parents who are not available at the home address listed on the application form during the notification period should contact the Highlander to make other arrangements.
Pre-Kindergarten Age Requirement
It is Highlander’s policy that children applying to pre-kindergarten must be 4 years old by September 1st of the year they will be starting pre-kindergarten.
Kindergarten Age Requirement
It is Highlander’s policy that children applying to kindergarten must be 5 years old by September 1st of the year they will be starting kindergarten.
Siblings Preference Policy
Highlander has created the Sibling Preference Policy to help families with more than one child in school. Enrollment preference is given to applicants whose siblings are enrolled at Highlander. We define siblings as children that share the same parent, guardian and/or caregiver, and reside in the same household.
When a lottery takes place, siblings will be admitted first, if space is available. When a waiting list exists for a particular grade, siblings will be placed 1st on the waiting list. If there is more than one sibling to be placed on the waiting list for a particular grade, a siblings’ lottery will be done in order to assign them a position on this waiting list.
Children of Employees Admissions Policy
The children of Highlander employees are given preference in the admissions lottery in the same way that siblings are given preference. The employee must be full time and a Rhode Island resident in order for her/his children to be given preference in the admissions lottery.
When the admissions lottery takes place, current students’ siblings and children of employee will be admitted first, if space is available. When a waiting list exists for a particular grade, siblings or children of employees will be placed 1st on the waiting list. If there is more than one sibling and/or child of employees to be placed on the waiting list for a particular grade, a sibling/children of employees’ lottery will be done to assign them a position on this waiting list.
When a student leaves Highlander and is interested in returning to our school, an admissions application has to be completed and will follow the same lottery process as the rest of the applicants.
If at that time Highlander has a waiting list and is not accepting applications, the parent is welcome to apply for the following school year when applications are available. Please remember that an admissions application has to be completed and returned before the deadline in order to participate in the lottery.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Please contact the school by phone at 401-247-3585 extentsion 202 or 208, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.